Pregnant? Be sure to check out my article on essential oils and pregnancy before you begin experimenting!

I've been using jojoba oil and lavender oil as my daily and nightly moisturizer for several years now and I couldn't be happier with the results. Not only are they all natural and fairly inexpensive but they are so so so SO good for your skin. I recently added rose hip seed oil and almond oil to the routine and my skin is g-l-o-w-i-n-g, and it's not (totally) from the pregnancy. I thought I'd share with you how I'm using these natural oils to clean and nurture my skin.

Jojoba Oil

Pronounced ho-HO-ba, this oil from the jojoba tree (actually a liquid wax, but let's keep it simple and call it "oil"), is the one and only oil that is closest to our own skin oils. The idea is that this "tricks" the skin into thinking that it is producing enough oil thus balancing oil production if your skin is oily. Regardless of whether your skin is oily, normal, dry or combination, this oil is non-comedogenic and won't clog your pores.

How to use it
I started by using this on my skin after washing both day and night. It's best to use a little less in the morning than at night because it can leave a shine on your face. You can also use this oil to remove eye makeup and even to wash your entire face! I've also used it in a pinch when I'm traveling and I realize I've forgotten my conditioner. I've put in on my bikini area after shaving to reduce redness. I've used it on dry lips and as a massage oil when Andy's back is complaining. It's a great all-purpose oil!

Where to buy it
My favorite place to buy jojoba oil is Trader Joe's. TJ's seems to have to best price (about $5 for a 4 oz bottle) but your local co-op or Whole Foods will also have it. If you're looking to buy online, Swanson Vitamins is my favorite place for a great selection, competitive prices and great customer service.

Lavender Oil

Not only does it have a beautiful, calming smell, lavender oil is a great disinfectant-- meaning it helps kill the bacteria on your skin that can cause breakouts. It also reduces redness (bye bye red spots!) and helps heal wounds (bye bye oozing, disgusting pimples!).

How to use it
It's a good idea to always use a carrier oil when dealing with essential oils, meaning you use another oil, such as jojoba oil, along with the essential oil to help dilute it as essential oils can be really strong/powerful/irritating if used in high concentrations. I usually put a few drops of jojoba oil in my hand, followed by a few drops of lavender oil, rub my hands together and apply it to my face and neck. But here's a great shortcut: when your jojoba oil is half empty, fill the rest of the bottle up with lavender oil. Give it a shake before using and simplify your routine. (I use a lot more essential oil than the little bottles tell you you need. Go with what you know. If I were using $100 bottles of lavender oil I'd just mix so many drops in with the jojoba because the oil would be more potent/effective. But I'm using mid-grade stuff so bring it on!)

I used to use the jojoba and lavender combo day and night but once I started dating Andy I cut back to only using it in the morning and using straight jojoba oil or almond oil at night. When you get used to using lavender oil on a regular basis you kind of stop smelling it. But when you slather it all over your face at night your bed partner can't do anything BUT smell it. So if you're not sleeping alone, I suggest not using lavender oil at night . . . or you may be sleeping alone. Keep reading to find out what I do suggest you use at night.

Where to buy it
Your local co-op, Whole Foods or health food store should have plenty of this on hand. Online I've had a lot of luck and great service from Vitacost.com. Good lavender oil should cost anywhere from $20 an ounce and up.

Rose Hip Seed Oil

This oil is A-MAZ-ING. I've only been using it regularly for a few weeks and I'm already in love. Rose hip seed oil contains retinol, Vitamin C, omega-3 AND omega-6 fatty acids. It's so great for your skin, I'm kicking myself for not having heard of it sooner, or used it sooner! It helps dermatitis, acne, eczema, wrinkles, sunburn AND brittle nails. It also helps reduce the appearance of scars, encourages cell rejuvenation, improves skin elasticity (I might start smearing this on my expanding belly!) and helps heal the little pits that can be left behind from deep acne. Whoa!

How to use it
I use this, and only this, at night. I skip the carrier oil, rose hip seed oil doesn't seem to bother me at full strength, and use it all over my face and neck. The great thing is that it doesn't have a smell so it's great to use at night.

Where to buy it
Again, your local co-op or Whole Foods is the place to start. I haven't found a competitive online retailer for rose hip seed oil but I'll let you know when I do. The bottle above should cost you about $6 for an ounce.

Almond Oil

Almond oil is light, nongreasy and quickly absorbed by the skin. It's high in fatty acids that your skin will gobble up and is reported to help "plump out" wrinkles and prevent further skin damage. It's also affordable and can double as massage oil or a hair conditioner.

How to use it
I bought almond oil when I was out of jojoba oil and couldn't find any. It's about the same price as jojoba oil so it was an easy decision. After I found jojoba oil (it's still my favorite) i began to use it only at night. Until I started using pure rose hip seed oil at night. So now I use my almond oil as an eye makeup remover (my jojoba is mixed with lavender oil and I don't want that on my eyes) and to massage Andy's sore back (the boy works hard!).

So now my almond oil sits around largely unused. But I do love the stuff and I think I'll use it as baby massage oil when the little one comes along. "Baby Oil" is largely made of mineral oil, which is natural but not safe for babies to digest. It can kill them or make them very sick. If my baby can't safely ingest something, I don't want to rub it all over her skin. Olive, almond, and coconut oil are great alternatives and I think I'll be making almond oil my oil of choice. Mainly because it doesn't smell.

Where to buy it
You know where. Co-op. Whole Foods. Health food store. The bottle above will should cost you about $6 for 4 oz.
Picture
That little top on the bottle is annoying. I pop it out.

What to Look for When Buying Essential Oils

Cheap oils (that have been made from poor crops, have been sitting on a shelf for too long or have been adulterates with chemicals or other oils) won't work as well, or at all, on your skin and could even irritate your skin. Here are some tips on buying good oils:

-- Avoid buying bottles with the words “fragrance oil,” “nature identical oil,” or “perfume oil.”

-- Same goes for "therapeutic grade" or "aromatherapy grade." There is no grading standard for oils and this language is often used by companies with something to hide.

-- Buy essential oils that are sold in dark colored glass-- whether you're buying 1 oz or 16 oz. The dark glass helps protect the oil from light and the glass won't leech into the oil the way plastic will. If the oil is cheap and in a light colored plastic bottle, it's probably too good to be true.

-- Yes, organic oils are superior to non-organic.

-- The more information the product or website lists about the product, the better. Latin name of the plant the oil is made from, when it was made, how it is packaged, etc.

These are the tips I follow but there are a lot of other tips on buying quality oils here.

Do you regularly use any oils? What kind and what for? I want to learn more!

Comments

05/26/2012 08:36

so, you still use a cleanser in the morning? i'm in the market for a good organic one... and at night, you use only the rose hip oil. would you recommend that for someone like me who usually wears sunscreen and sometimes makeup during the day? gracias!

05/26/2012 09:18

good morning eliza dear! I currently am using Burt's Bees Radiance Facial Cleanser with Royal Jelly and I LOVE it. In fact, I washed my face about 10 minutes ago and thought "I should have mentioned this in my skin care article." It's not organic but it's 99.0% natural, you can get it anywhere, it has a delightful but faint scent and it gets EVERYTHING off of your face. Even when you doll yourself up with lots of mascara and eyeliner, it comes right off without extra scrubbing or washing.

I guess I should edit the article so that it's clear exactly what my routine is: I use this cleanser in the morning, followed by jojoba and lavender oil. After the jojoba and lavender soak in I put on sunscreen and/or makeup. That night I wash with this cleanser and follow it with rose hip oil and sometimes a little almond oil around the eyes, because you can't get the rose hip oil (or any essential oil) too close to your eyes. I'd absolutely recommend this for anyone.

Also, a great time and money saver is to go to a local skin clinic and buy a little bottle of pure zinc dioxide (it looks like an bottle of eye droppers but white) and put 2 or 3 DROPS in your entire bottle of jojoba oil and give it a shake before you use it and you'll be all set with sunscreen. I did it that way in Punta Mona and never got a sunburn on my face.

09/17/2012 05:01

Your thinking toward the respective issue is awesome also the idea behind the blog is very interesting which would bring a new evolution in respective field.

A fine quality educational blog! I like the way blogger presented information regarding the concerned subject. Thanks for posting such a nice blog.

eliza
05/27/2012 12:41

thank you for the clarification & details, dear darla! i am giving all this a whirl and will let you know how it goes. :)

brit
05/29/2012 18:43

Hi thanks for the tips. So do you find that using almond oil or jojoba oil is best to remove eye makeup? I am concerned with getting it in my eyes so how would I use it, am thinking a wet cotton square and a few drops? Thanks for your elp.

brit
05/29/2012 18:46

sorry just realized you said you are now using the Burts Bees. I am allergic to their products and most others so still need advice re the almond or jojoba oil to remove eye makeup successfully.

05/29/2012 19:36

Hey Brit! Yes I find that using almond or jojoba oil is best for removing eye makeup. They're natural, they don't sting and they're a great moisturizer for the sensitive skin around your eyes. Just make sure it's straight almond or jojoba oil and not mixed with any essential oils.

I use a cotton ball or a piece of toilet paper (as sexy as that sounds), add a few drops and wipe my eyes, and then wash my face with my face cleanser, effectively removing the excess oil. If you use a facial cleanser that isn't safe to wash your eyes with then you can also use a clean cotton ball or a clean piece of toilet paper and wipe away the excess oil and mascara.

i hope that helps!

09/10/2012 01:13

I must say the blog post is just useful for everyone else reading it because the information and knowledge it contains is very important. I like the post! Excellent job! Keep sharing such valuable information through your blogs.

06/20/2012 05:27

Helpful knowledge and really well explained about use of oil for skin. Great collection of contents, I will be back to read other. Keep on posting valuable information..Thank you so much for sharing.

06/20/2012 09:57

The quality and quantity of collagen in your body is what determines the condition of your skin . that is directly effect on our skin

08/16/2012 06:49

I am really satisfied with this posting that you have given us. This is really a stupendous work done by you. Thank you and looking for more posts.

08/20/2012 22:59

Getting right down to basics, when cleansing and moisturizing your skin, it is imperative that you keep in mind that oil dissolves oil.

Ilea
08/22/2012 16:23

Eliza,

Check out Mountain Rose Herbs for your oils. The quality is superb and so is the customer service. I have been a loyal customer for nine years now and have only had one problem that was promptly fixed. Also, Specialty Bottle has everything you need to mix your own and no minimum purchase.

As to cleansers, I use castille soap with a couple EO's mixed in. I change it up depending on what's going on with my skin. In the winter my skin is less oily so I can use rose and neroli, if I'm having acne issues I use myrrh, chamomile and yarrow, etc.

I am a huge fan of toner's these days and mostly stick to a rose hydrosol - sometimes I mix and sometimes I don't but it always feels sooooo good and luxurious!

I use a blend of almond and evening primrose oil on my eyes with 1 or 2 drops of chamomile mixed into a 1/2 ounce of oil. (Go super easy on the EO's here!)

My face oil right now (since a medication I'm on has me breaking out) consists of almond, carrot, evening primrose, chamomile (roman), chamomile (german), myrrh, yarrow, and palmarosa. (Drop the cash for at least one of the chamomiles...it is worth it and you can use it for all kinds of things.)

I also use a french green clay masque with a blend of the same EO's and aloe vera gel to the correct consistency. I mix up enough for a week at a time (and Specialty Bottle has these adorable little blue glass jars perfect for it) and use it in the shower while I'm washing my hair.

I had gotten lazy and was using store-bought stuff and two days after I started using my natural goodies my face already looks better. (And, no, Mountain Rose and Specialty Bottles don't pay me to advertise...I just really think they are the best out there!)

Happy Mixing!

08/25/2012 00:44

Food and nutritional vitamins are very essential for over all health.
Green vegetables are great source of nutrient and it is low calorie food which is beneficial for health and also hep to keep metabolism strong.

08/30/2012 06:08

Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs…

These oils are extremely healthy. An essential oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aroma compounds from plants. Nice post

09/08/2012 00:27

A complete selection of all types of Essential Oils, Aromatherapy Oils, Natural Oils, Herbal Oils, and Oils for diffusers, as well as oils for internal, and external are very important for skin care which help to keep our skin healthy.

09/18/2012 03:05

I admire your thoughts and your way of expressing and putting it in front of readers is really something that I have seen after a long time. We need more writers like you.

09/21/2012 05:25

The insights and the opinions shared in this blog are appreciable. Blogger seems like an educated and knowledgeable writer with sensible thoughts. Good work and Keep it up.

10/03/2012 01:20

It is an enormously inspiring post .I am totally pleased by your excellent work. It contains really very useful information. Looking forward for your next post.

Taylor
01/07/2013 21:14

Is it alright (safe, good for you, etc.) to combine jojoba oil and rose hip seed oil together at night? I recently bought rose hip seed oil and have been looking around to see if it is okay before I do it. Your article inspired me to purchase jojoba oil, and now the rose hip as well.

Thanks!

Darla Antoine
01/26/2013 09:37

Yes you can use them together or separately. They're both great for your skin!

casey
02/01/2013 16:58

I'm so happy I found this post! Just got my first bottles of jojoba and rosehip seed oils in the mail and was trying to figure out a good regimen to use them. Thanks for the help!

stacey dukes
02/03/2013 01:30

Hi, i would like to say THANK YOU for this post! iI searched high and low to find an article on the internet explaining all these facts! Gonna buy myself some oils now :O)

Rosie
02/15/2013 23:35

I have roseaca and was recently told to try using chamomile to help minimize the redness. While @ the store to purchase the chamomile it was suggested to me that I mix it in to some rose hips. Is this ok and what will the mixture do?

Darla Antoine
02/21/2013 07:02

That's sounds fine and lovely Rosie, I hope it works for you!

collette
02/28/2013 20:49

I wanted to try making a face serum to prevent and help wrinkles and add moisturise. which is better grapeseed oil or Jocoba..or should I use both? should I use rosehip or evening primrose or both?
Now I see chamomile listed, what does that do to the face? is it ok to add some vitamin E as well? thanks!

Darla
03/01/2013 14:17

Collette, I personally would use jojoba over grapeseed because of its similarity to your skin's natural oil. Keep it simple-- unless you know something about the benefits of grapeseed oil that I don't :)

You can use rosehip, evening primrose, chamomile and vitamin e all but, again, I'd keep it simple. Vitamin E is great for healing your skin, but so is rosehip oil. Evening primrose is great for anti-aging benefits, amd chamomile is great for anti-inflammatory and as an anti-septic.

This is what I would blend: jojoba as the carrier oil with rosehip seed oil, evening primrose and, optionally, chamomile (if you have a problem with pimples or rosacea and need some soothing)

I hope that helps! Lavender is also nice in something like this for a light scent.

Arju
05/22/2013 12:10

Hello Darla,
I am so liking this idea of all natural oils as a skin care routine. My facial lady uses a lot of oils and honey to do her facials. My skin glows for days. I would like to know how would you go about putting foundation on after you have moisturized with Jojoba oil in the morning. Any tips from you would be helpful. I have already thrown away all my commerial cleansers and moisturizers. I am going to stick to this. Rest of my body is benefiting from oils why not my face. A few times I used oil cleansing and couple of days of night oil moisturizing- really saw the smoothness! Trying to get some sun block elements added for AM use and see what ideas you may have so I can apply foundation without any issues. Thanks.

Darla Antoine
05/24/2013 07:14

Hi Arju! Isn't the difference amazing after a few days? I've recently began using coconut oil to remove my eye make up, and then I went one step further and now I put it on my arms and legs after a shower too! I smell delicious! :)

I wash my face and then apply the jojoba. Then I do a few other morning routines: brush my teeth, my hair, pluck my eyebrows if I need to, just to give it several minutes to soak in so my makeup doesn't slide off. Then I apply my make up as usual.

Remember to use the oil sparingly in the mornings so you don't look all shiny and greasy.

06/26/2013 21:26

I clean with water, vinegar, lemon, peppermint, and tea tree. Lemon helps get rid of the nasty dirt, peppermint kills bacteria and smells fresh, and tea tree kills mold. I also sometimes add cinnamon to help kill some types of viruses.

07/12/2013 06:01

Your blog is very informative and well done! Curious to know if you are familiar with dōTERRA essential oils? They are certified pure therapeutic grade and are used internally as well as the usual modalities. I would love to introduce them to you if possible. Thank you again for your blog!

brit
07/12/2013 06:08

stay clear of MLM essential oils and their crazy claims (not to speak of the cost LOL). Plenty of good oils available. I get some of mine from Mountain Rose Herbs or Natures Gift or just buy locally. Aura Cacia is great for cleaning etc and I also like Plant Life and Simplers.

Darla Antoine
07/17/2013 21:50

Hmmm I haven't heard if this oils but I will search for them! Thank you

Joni Thomas
07/18/2013 05:48

All respect to you Brit but dōTERRA oils are exceptional. If you read any other bottle of essential oil- they all say things like 'do not ingest' or so not use internally ' etc. That is because there are no governing standards in the essential oil industry and therefore companies add filler oils and or synthetic compounds to their oils. Adulterating essential oils changes the molecular structure of the oil, thus making them unsafe to use internally and in many cases causing them to be ineffective and or giving a toxic or allergic reaction. dōTERRA oils are 100% pure. They are third party tested for purity and potency. Every bottle and every batch is tested every time. This is why we can use them as medicine both topically and internally. The owners/founders of dōTERRA chose to sell these precious oils by the telling of each individuals experience with the oils rather than placing them in retail settings where they would sit on shelves and rely on whoever was scheduled to work that day, to share the amazing therapeutic benefits of the oils. I realise this is really not the forum to go on and on about this but I don't want anyone to get the wrong story about a company that is trying so hard to so something honest and right. I must add that the reason for my devotion and passion about dōTERRA's certified pure therapeutic grade oils is that they are literally saving my husbands life. We use the oils to treat a very advanced-life threatening cancer and they are working. Please do not lump dōTERRA in with all other companies that sell products directly to consumers without first looking at the products or speaking with someone who represents them.

Peace health and wellness to all - and thanks for this very informative blog

Joni Thomas
07/18/2013 05:49

Peace health and wellness to all - and thanks for this very informative blog
Joni

Joni Thomas
07/18/2013 05:52

All respect to you Brit but dōTERRA oils are exceptional. If you read any other bottle of essential oil- they all say things like 'do not ingest' or do not use internally ' etc. That is because there are no governing standards in the essential oil industry and therefore companies add filler oils and or synthetic compounds to their oils.

This is why we can use them as medicine, aromatically, topically and internally. The owners/founders of dōTERRA chose to sell these precious oils by the telling of each individuals experience with the oils rather than placing them in retail settings where they would sit on shelves and rely on whoever was scheduled to work that day, to share the amazing therapeutic benefits of the oils.

I realise this is really not the forum to go on and on about this but I don't want anyone to get the wrong story about a company that is honest and right.

So sorry to go off subject here- apologies and if you have any concerns, or questions about dōTERRA please read about the company at the link that says 'about our company' - here www.mydoterra.com/jonithomas

Peace health and wellness to all - and continued thanks for this very informative blog
Joni

Nawee
07/25/2013 06:54

I have just bought Rosehip Oil. It has a very strong smell, kind of fishy. I love the oil, but can't stand the smell. Is it normal or has it gone bad or something? Can I mix lavender oil to mask the smell?

08/03/2013 19:39

Darla,
I LOVE your blog!! Thank you so much for being so positively informative. I am relatively new to the essential oils and jojoba for face and body, I'm beginning to experiment with facial mist recipes and essential oil combinations. That being said, I am so thankful to have come across your page!!
Hope you keep posting!
Cheers!

10/03/2013 20:37

Hi I enjoy reading your website and i think natural oils are beatiful to experiment with on the skin .I need your help. I've had red cheeks for a few weeks now so i was wondering wich is the best oil to cure this problem, ? its starting to bother me.

Darla
10/03/2013 22:36

Hi Josephine! I would try lavender oil. Mix a little in with some jojoba oil or even olive or coconut oil from your kitchen. Gently massage it into your skin twice a day. As time goes on and you begin to feel more comfortable, you could use the lavender straight without a carrier oil

10/26/2013 05:08

I will recommend your post to my junior researchers who have the similar doubts about the skin problems. I guess your blog has clear the confusion in very simpler way. Thank you on behalf of them.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for this great article. Essential oils are great and can help physically and emotionally. Here is a great place to get 100% natural Essential oil based products: http://therapiabyaroma.com/

All the best

SusieQ
02/08/2014 07:14

Hi Darla, I've started using oils for some light creases on my face.. Can you tell me the correct method of actually applying them to my face and neck? Is a quick, feathery touch best, or a deeper massage? What about under the eyes? How much pressure and for how long should I rub them in? Thank you for your expertise!

Darla
02/08/2014 07:50

Hi Susie! I recommend using just 3 or 4 drops (dime-sized amount), rubbing it in between both hands and then rubbing both hands across your face and neck slowly but firmly, just once or twice. Then avoid putting anything else on your face for 3 or 4 minutes until the oil has had a chance to soak in a bit-- whether it's makeup or face planting into your pillow, wait a few :)

Darla
02/08/2014 07:55

P.s. You can also oil cleanse your face and you might see faster results on the creases. I recommend jojoba or rose hip oil but almond or coconut might work for you too. Just warm up a wash cloth with hot water (or a clairisonic if you have one), wring out the excess water and apply a nickel-sized amount if oil. Rub slowly and firmly all over your face, washing it as usual. Let it sit a minute and then use the washcloth to gently, superficially, wipe away the excess oil